Over the last 10 years the rate of male infertility has risen significantly. There are many theories to help explain this, since fertility is not essential for the survival of one person, this increase in infertility may be a result of declining nutritional status, toxins in the environment or general sign of unhealthiness in the general population.
Avoid dietary sources of free radicals, saturated fats, hydrogenated oils, trans fatty acids, and cottonseed oil. Considering the effects of fats and oils on cell membrane dynamics, certain fats such as hydrogenated oils trans fatty acids, saturated fats; cotton ,coconut and palm oil should be avoided. Coconut and palm oil are primarily saturated fats while cotton seeds may contain toxic residues due to heavy spraying of cotton and its high level of gossypol, which inhibits sperm function.
Intake of poly unsaturated oils such as essential fatty acids ; omega 3 and omega6 fatty acids should be increased for healthy cell membrane functioning.
Increase consumption of legumes, especially soy (high in phytoestrogens and phytosterols), good dietary sources of antioxidant vitamins , carotenes and flavonoids (dark colored vegetables and fruits) and essential fatty acids and zinc (nuts and seeds)
Recommended daily consumption of eight to ten servings of vegetables, two to four servings of fresh fruits, and half a cup of raw nuts or seeds.
Multiple vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Beta carotene, Zinc, Folic acid, Vitamin B 12, Omega 3 Fatty acids etc can improve male fertility.
Certain botanicals can be of considerable help such as ginseng, pygeum africanum.
1. Decrease cholesterol and improve cardio vascular system.
2. Decrease animal products that may contain DES residues (diethyl stilbestrol,a hormone supplement used to enhance growth in animals).
3. Eat foods containing zinc such as nuts, pumpkin seeds, oysters, wheat germ, cheese etc.
4. Carnitine: It is essential is in the transport of fatty acids into the mitochondria ,deficiency of carnitine results in a decrease in fatty acid concentration into the mitochondria and therefore reduced energy production. Carnitine concentrations are extremely high in epididymis and sperm suggesting a strong role for carnitine in male reproductive function.
5. Arginine:The amino acid arginine is required for the replication cells, making it essential in sperm function.
Source: Times of India